Sunday, 13 October 2013

A meal of stones



I don't know if you're anything like me? Sometimes, ok quite often, meal planning, shopping and cooking get on top of me. It's usually because I'm not organised enough and sometimes it's because it just seems so mundane.

The other day I came across a leaflet sitting in my in-tray at work. It had been sent by Farm Africa and it was requesting donations for Harvest. I was having a quick read of it and on one of the pages was something that I will NEVER EVER forget.

The leaflet told me that in East Africa, mothers who have no food to give their hungry children collect stones and put them in a big pot of boiling water. As the pot 'cooks' the stones it sounds to the children like a meal is bubbling and steaming away. As they wait for the meal to cook the mother sings to her children and tells them stories until eventually the children fall asleep, hungry but very much loved and cared for.

As I read this, tears streamed down my face and my mamas heart felt the pain that these African mothers must feel so often. I don't think I have read anything that has impacted me as a Mother as much as this has.

It's difficult to know what to really do to help these people, other than support the charities that are on the ground there. I felt so helpless in that moment. As I was thinking about it later on in the day I realised that I could do something - I could change my own attitude towards providing food for my family, whether shopping for it or cooking it or planning for it. And I asked God to help me to never have a complaining attitude again in this area of home life. I also told my children about this true story and it has had an impact on them in terms of eating the food that is offered to them and not complaining.

Lord, I am so grateful for the life you have given me.

Enjoy the life that God has given to you.

~ Kathi ~


1 comment:

Cerys Wood said...

Wow. Tears down my face too whilst reading this Kathi for both reasons - the lack of food for these beautiful hungry children and the incredible force, strength and resourcefulness that a mother's heart will stretch to soothe her child in any way she can. Incredible. Will absolutely make me think again when I grumble to myself about having to nip out to the supermarket for food. Thank you for posting this.